Thursday, February 13, 2014

Life in Mexico and Christmas in February

   

Every now and then I want to give you a little taste of my life in Mexico.  As you know I have a hard time finding all the things I need for my business and also personal things in Mexico.  For example, Chapstick is nearly $3 for 1 stick.  I am addicted to Chapstick.  So my lovely Mama has been collecting things like Chapstick for me and she finally sent my box about a week and a half ago.  I was tracking it online and saw that it was at the post office to be picked up today.  I made the trek to the office near the center of the city.  Receiving it went fine and off I went on my return trip home.

I don't have a car here in Mexico which makes traveling with large items somewhat tricky.  Walking is fine but the buses are another story.  The buses do not wait for you to sit down before they take off at top speed.  Luckily there was a seat near the front but I knew getting off was going to be tricky.  As we approached my stop I attempted to squeeze myself and my box through the kids on their way home from school.  Everyone stares at me in Mexico so I can feel the eyes watching me struggle.  I know my stop is coming and if I don't get to the button he won't stop for me so I signal a kid to push the button.  He does so graciously but at the same moment I lose the box which has been slowly falling from my grip.  You need one free hand to hold on as the bus flies down the street jerkily.  My other hand was attempting to balance the box between my hip and arm.  The box broke free and flew down the steps of the bus.  Feeling my face turn red, I shrugged like "oh well" but then I realized the box was at the bottom of the exit stairs and the door was opening while the bus was in motion.  The door flew open and the box flew out onto the street.  I figured it would just hit the sidewalk but it rolled toward the back bus tire.  The people on the back of the bus took an audible breath and made small shocked motions.  Fortunately the box did not go under the bus and I jumped off, scooped it up and walked hastily away in embarrassment.  I hate the buses here.

With lips and face burning I opened my box to find the Chapstick mother load.


And a sweet note from my Mom.


And a cool bracelet my stepdad made me.


But I was also so so excited to receive another special gift.  My friend Sharon at Kerria Rosette sent me a beautiful Blythe doll to use with my new line of BeBe Baby miniatures.  Sharon is one of the most amazing internet friends I have ever made.  She is caring, thoughtful, generous, smart and super talented!  I can't wait to start playing with my new Blythe and using her in pictures.  Her clothing packaging is so sweet I don't even want to open them!  One reason this is so special to me is because when I moved to Mexico I sold my doll collection, including my Blythe that I coveted for years.  It makes my heart happy to have a Blythe again.


No comments:

Post a Comment