Sunday, June 15, 2014

Debbie Aponte's Soft Sculptured Dolls

Well after my last post I decided to take my own advice and do something fun.  So why not a post about another doll artist?  Debbie is a customer of mine who is becoming a fast friend.  She has several BeBe Babies and takes the cutest pictures of them.  I noticed in her pictures that she was posing her BeBes with some adorable soft sculpture dolls.  I had no idea she made them!  Debbie is just starting out making her own dolls and I wanted to share them with my readers because I love them and think you will too.  Her shop is under the name Debbie's Dolly Fashions and Reborns so check it out.

BeBe Baby Alma with one of Debbie's kitty dolls.

1.  When did you begin making cloth dolls?

Just recently I started making full body cloth dolls. I used to make dolls, but they only consisted of the cloth head with blankets for the bodies. Something cute to cuddle with. I wanted to make something different so about 3 week's ago, I decided to have a try at making full body cloth dolls. Each time I made one, I would compare it to the last one I made to see what I needed to perfect or change. So far, so good.



2.  Have you only made cloth dolls or have you made any other types of dolls?

No...at first, I taught myself how to sew dresses and gowns for my dolls. Then when I discovered Reborns, I taught myself how to sew baby blankets w/ matching pillows. I also taught myself how to crochet clothes, toys, dolls and more.

3.  Do you have a background in art?

I do have a background in art. Not professionally, but self taught. As a young girl I loved to draw and sketch people. I also love to oil paint as well.

4.  How did you learn to sew and make dolls?

I picked up my first sewing needle back in 2005. It was the same time I taught myself how to use a sewing machine. I never took classes but I do remember watching my mom sew...how she used the bobbin, how she threaded the needle, etc. She would always try to get me to help her and show me how to sew but I would refuse and always sat there and watched her work. After she passed away in 2005, I brought her sewing machine home with me with all of her supplies and taught myself how to sew. It was stressful and aggravating at first, trying to remember everything my mom used to do. But I was determined to learn because I wanted my mom to be proud of me. 



5.  Do you have any advice for new doll makers?

Yes....for new doll makers, please be sure to do your research. The Internet is a great place to search for techniques, advise, etc. when it comes to making dolls. 

6.  Does anyone help you in the creation of your dolls?

I design and make my dolls by myself. I have no assistance at this time.

7.  Do you belong to any doll clubs/groups/forums?

I belong to a doll forum called Doll-Fan. It's a great place to share your stories about your doll collections and dolls that you make. The ladies there are so helpful and supportive.

8.  Where do you sell your dolls?  Where can people buy them?

I sell my creations on Doll-Fan and Etsy.



9.  Do you collect dolls yourself?

Oh yes....I only collect Bebe Babies. I am addicted to those cute little faces. 

10.  Who are your favorite doll artists?

LOL...Casie of course! I used to collect Fayzah Spanos dolls as well as Sheila Michael dolls. Now I collect Bebe Babies.

11.  Do you have a day job?  What do you do?

Yes....I work full time as an Assistant Project Manager at an accounts receivable company for medical/ hospital accounts.



12.  Anything else you want to share about your dolls?

I have to say, I find myself in a different place when I am creating. It's calming and so satisfying to have an idea come to life. Almost therapeutic.

I agree Debbie!


Thanks for reading everyone!  And as always if you are a doll or soft sculpture artist and would like to be featured on the BeBe Babies blog please send me a message.  

No comments:

Post a Comment